Women's Institute

Discussion in 'Nunhead' started by Jal, Aug 21, 2014.

1. Jal

Jal Newbie

2. Clint

Clint Lives for South East London

Alas my housemate and I are men, but we would totally be up for baking/craft goodness if you do anything non gender specific...

3. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Hello, I would definitely be interested. A small group of us have been wondering whether we could set up a Nunhead WI, so I think I know at least 4 others who would also be interested. There is one in ED but I understand it's v popular and they do sometimes have to turn people away from meetings. It might be worth getting in touch with the ED branch for some tips. Happy to help if I can. J

4. egoode

egoode Local

I'd be quite interested in it.

5. ursa_nunhead

ursa_nunhead Regular

Hey count me in!

6. emilou

emilou Regular

I'd definitely be interested too!

7. astacey

astacey Newbie

I would def be interested and happy to help

8. Please keep me updated on this too!

9. Sladey

Sladey Lives for South East London

Me too!

10. I'd love to be part of this! I've gone along to a couple of Borough Belles meetings but something closer to home would be great!
    Vicky

11. Amarylis

Amarylis Member

Hey

I was on the committee of the East Dulwich WI for a couple of years before I left after my son was born. Would be happy to get involved and can include some ladies who helped get the East Dulwich WI off the ground. Why don't we meet at a pub for a chat? The Ivyhouse is my closest; happy for suggestions of other places.

12. jessjones

jessjones Newbie

Hi Jal, I'd be really interested. I was googling to see if I could find a Peckham WI as was thinking of setting one up and I found your post. Is anyone around this weekend?

13. ShinyShep

ShinyShep Proper Local

Hello I am one of Cupcakes buddies, I'm definitely up for being involved but have a lot on of late so am worried about ending up organising it as I've just extricated myself from a similar role on another committee but would LOVE to be a member and help out in a non committee type way! Agree the Ivy House would be a great place, I know they have knitters there on a Monday evening so maybe could ask if they are interested too - also like the idea of men being "allowed" - seems a bit sexist in a way although I acknowledge the need for women's spaces too. Anyway that's my 2p's worth!

14. ShinyShep

ShinyShep Proper Local

Also name idea Nunhead Not Nuns!

15. Clint

Clint Lives for South East London

Alas, men cant join the WI, but apparently are welcome to certain events and courses :)

16. smurf

smurf Newbie

I would be interested too

17. HRB

HRB Newbie

Hi yes, I would be very interested, I'm a craft author and presenter. Have been thinking about this for a while. Probably a bit late on the uptake but would be interested in touching base.

18. egoode

egoode Local

I was wondering if anything has progressed with this. I've not been involved in WI before so not sure how to set up a new one but willing to help out.

19. Cupcake

Cupcake Member

Hi all, sorry it's been a while.... Things have progressed and an initial meeting will be taking place on Monday 16th February at 8pm upstairs at The Old Nun's Head. The area rep (Jean) will be there to explain how it all works and to answer any questions.
    Hope to see you there!

20. egoode

egoode Local

Glad to hear this is happening I'll be there and interested to hear more about it.