Where is the best place in SE London to buy?

Discussion in 'Property to let, for sale or wanted' started by prospective, Apr 17, 2011.

?

Which area is best for me to buy in?

1. hither green

5 vote(s)
    6.7%
  2. brockley

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  3. e dulwich

24 vote(s)
    32.0%
  4. forest hill

20 vote(s)
    26.7%
  5. honor oak

14 vote(s)
    18.7%
  6. lee

2 vote(s)
    2.7%
  1. Nic Ronconi

Nic Ronconi Local

All interesting views. I bought in HGreen (west side in 2006) and I am pretty happy with the choice as the area improved a bit. My wife and I are now looking to buy a larger place and we are facing the dilemma of where next? We would like to stay in the area (as few of you said is more affordable than Brockley, Honor Oak and even Ladywell, I would add if you stay in the west side!!) but it seems the schools are not that good. Frankly from what I could read it seems that in the SE there are only few decent primary schools and if you want to be near one you def. pay a higher price....this is the case of Manor Park East side of H Green or even O Oak. If school is not a problem I would suggest H Green no doubt.

2. prospective

prospective Newbie

Thanks for the feedback so far, really kind of you. I should have asked as well whether anyone knew anything about Westcombe Park / Blackeath Standard? I think it might be a bit pricey and it's not great for public transport but it seems like a nice area.

3. so_below

so_below Regular

After looking at properties in the area (Crofton Park, Honor Oak, Crystal Palace, Ladywell) for well over a year, we plumped for Brockley as it's just that little bit nearer to town. Lovely 2 bed flat in the conservation area for a smaller budget than yours. I'm delighted to say the journey to Soho is a piece of p*** - a short walk to St John's then a walk from Charing X. It's as quick as when we lived north of the river in zone 2. So if journey to work is key, Brockley is ace. (On the other hand, the ELL in the morning is rather packed).
    We are worried about our distance from any school in the conservation area, but guess we'll cross that bridge when we come to it...
    Hither Green felt a little TOO suburban for us right now, though their florist/cafe You Don't Bring Me Flowers is heavenly.

4. Mazer

Mazer Newbie

In response to yesterday's question at 8.21am about Westcombe Park/Blackheath Standard.

A very personal view: I am not a south east Londoner originally, but have lived in Surrey Quays, Lewisham, Lee, Charlton and now Greenwich (just off Maze Hill). I like all the areas mentioned in the posts so far but as soon as I could afford it I moved to where I really wanted to be and I have not regretted it at all. I found that when I lived in some areas I got great value for money but always got in the car or taxi to places I wanted to spend time (ie Blackheath and Greenwich) having never ended up on a direct bus route to said places.

I can recommend the Westcombe Park conservation area for the gorgeous roads, peace, very close proximity to Greenwich Park and Thames riverside walks and pubs, and for schools too (for the future), as well as Greenwich too (which I think your budget does allow). Maze Hill and Westcombe Park have around 6 trains an hour, and Greenwich has 8-10 I think. Also, it is just a few minutes on a very frequent local bus to North Greenwich tube, just one stop to Canary Wharf .

I don't use the car like I used to at all, and have a short and pleasant walk to Blackheath village(15mins for me) and Greenwich town (10 mins there, 15 mins back when tipsy).

Best wishes wherever you choose.

5. Mazer

Mazer Newbie

part 2 : I forgot to mention also Charlton - I used to live there and it offers even better value for money and has a lot of regular direct buses to Blackheath and Greenwich and North Greenwich tube. It is just to the other (Easterly) side of Greenwich and Blackheath Standard (ps. the Standard has a butchers, deli, M &S food etc). Its railway station is zone 3 and has an amazing service with 8-10 trains during the rush hours too, as well as some lovely underappreciated parks, namely Maryon Park and Maryon Wilson Park, as well as a few good primary schools too. Charlton's local blogger blogs as 853 and the Charlton Champion - recommended.

6. nunheader

nunheader South East Crusader

Um, I don't see an option to vote Nunhead :rolleyes:

And it seems my lovely little corner of SE London is one of the areas not too far from the Olympic sites that stands to benefit homeowners who want to cash in on the 2012 Games and let their property out next year, according to this report from the South London Press. Bit of it here:

The owner of a three-bedroomed house in Nunhead has put his home up for rent online during the Olympics for £2,100 per week.
    The man, who declined to be named, has also made the property available during the Paralympics in August 29 to September 9 next year for £1,900 per week.
    He said so far 14 people had contacted him, including four Canadians, two couples from China, a Russian and five Americans.
    He said: "I put my finger in the air and guessed what people will pay. It is great, easy money as long as you have a contract with them."
    "One of the people who got in touch wanted it for six weeks. They are from Canada.
    "They wanted to come earlier and start preparing as they are bringing their whole family across."

7. David TOWIE

David TOWIE Local

8. Mags

Mags Respected Local

Not Dulwich! I was there a matter of weeks, and that was more than enough...

Try Belgravia, or if that's too middle class go for Mayfair or Kensington, dear.

9. Peckham Wry

Peckham Wry Respected Local

Whenever I've asked people what is the Blackheath Standard the reply I always get is a pub! *scratches head*

10. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

Well perhaps you should try asking people who know what they're talking about?:p

11. Ravedog

Ravedog South Eastern Guru

I would look no furter than Nunhead/Peckham Rye.

12. triptych

triptych Member

13. JosephGilbert

JosephGilbert Newbie

Try Bromley, Beckenham, Chislehurst, Sidcup or Bexley Village.

14. Caroline76

Caroline76 Newbie

My partner and I have recently bought a house in the Western side of Hither Green, two blocks away from Mountsfield Park, and we got so much space for our money! Coming from Balham I was a bit doubtful about the area, but I found Hither Green to be very safe and the people very friendly! I’m a Director for a Media company in Soho and work very long hours so an easy commute is very important to me. It’s only half an hour into central London and that’s priceless! Hither Green is definitely a hidden gem!

15. londoner

londoner Local

So? Where did you buy in the end? I'd like to hear the end of the story (if possible!!!) :)

16. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

Wow, way to resuscitate an ancient thread. I don't think you'll get an answer from the original poster, the last time they logged on here was 2 years ago....