The South East London hotel and accommodation guide

Discussion in 'South East London General Discussion' started by South East 15, Dec 29, 2011.

1. South East 15

South East 15 Respected Local

Hello, I have relatives coming to visit from up north soon and I'm wondering where to put them up (no room at my inn!) so I'm curious what places we have on our doorsteps in SE15 (and surrounding areas) but don't even realise are there?

Any recommendations?

2. Ravedog

Ravedog South Eastern Guru

The Victoria in Bellenden has nice looking rooms and the Actress in North Cross Rd (SE22 though) said they were going to have some ready by the end of 2011.

3. kerala12

kerala12 Local

There are some people offering rooms and entire houses through Air Bnb in Peckham and Nunhead if you zoom into the area on the Air Bnb map. I don't think the site is as popular here as it is in the USA but its an interesting alternative to staying in hotels/bnbs. I've had some really good experiences in the USA and here in London when I was between flats.

Tremadog, SE15 Mick and Ravedog like this.
  4. evelina toad

evelina toad Local

Shame the Rye is still closed for refurb - they were often called The Rye Hotel as there were rooms upstairs

5. Shelfish

Shelfish Fountain of Southern Knowledge

If you live nearer the New Cross end of Nunhead then I know that the New Cross Inn offers rooms but I think that they offer more of a travellers hostel service...

6. David Peckham

David Peckham Respected Local

7. Camelegg

Camelegg Proper Local

There's also, believe it or not, a hotel on the Walworth Road SE17 (but the Peckham end, not the Elephant & Castle end).

It's called Hotel Pasha.

Don't know what the rooms are like, but I was at a function in the restaurant area yesterday evening and everything seemed quite clean and new, and the staff seemed friendly. The food looked good too and they have carp in an inside pond plus jungly plants.

Apparently the cuisine etc is from Kazakhstan - no Borat jokes please!

I have been told it used to be a hostel but it has been completely renovated.

It did get slightly marked down by me for the truly abysmal paintings in the corridor on the way to the restaurant, though. :p

8. Peckham Po

Peckham Po Proper Local

A small part of SE5 is in Peckham but yes, it's a cool place.

Considerably less cool is the Peckham Lodge on Peckham Road.

9. Bendr

Bendr Proper Local

FWIW, there is apparently a meeting going on right now at the Crown & Greyhound in Dulwich Village to discuss future plans of converting the pub into a 20 room hotel.

10. Shelfish

Shelfish Fountain of Southern Knowledge

Really? Won't the villagers be alarmed by the possibility of oiks infiltrating genteel Dulwich Village?

11. The Dulwich and Peckham area is crying out for a hotel of some sort and if it is any good it will have high occupancy I would have thought. We didn't have our wedding in Dulwich as there was nowhere for people from out of town to stay. The East Dulwich "Hotel" aka the Bed & Breakfast is probably not the sort of place to put the in-laws (or then again.....???).

12. New Cross CC

New Cross CC Regular

13. SE Steve

SE Steve Super-South-Easter

[Moved to South East London General]

14. AppleCatcher

AppleCatcher Local

As an aside, the Church St Hotel in Camberwell is a lovely hotel (and oddly aimed at the boutique end of the market, given its location), but it's quite pricey - £130+.

15. David Peckham

David Peckham Respected Local

The White Hart Hotel on the big junction of Queens Road and New Cross Road advertises rooms from its scabby windows, but as Danja said in the pub makeovers thread, the place is 'totally rancid' so I don't even know why I've bothered to write this

16. Ravedog

Ravedog South Eastern Guru

I spotted a man with suitcases entering the East Dulwich Hotel in Upland road, SE22, the other day. I must admit I never noticed it before. Not very well rated according to this review.:eek:

17. Tomos

Tomos Newbie

Use airbnb.com. I am sure you will find nice places where to stay, and you will help your neighbours make some money.