The Rye Reading Group @ The Old Nun's Head relaunches in Jan 2012

Discussion in 'Nunhead' started by SE Steve, Jul 11, 2011.

1. SE Steve

SE Steve Super-South-Easter

Following on from a thread at the old forum, several SE15 locals are trying to get a Book Group together for the Nunhead (and Peckham Rye) area...

2. Acompter

Acompter Member

I am new here but I seem to be going round in circles being directed back to a dead site.

3. nunheader

nunheader South East Crusader

The book group hasn't quite got off the ground yet Acompter! There's about six of us trying to arrange something so far - are you in?

4. nunhead belle

nunhead belle Fountain of Southern Knowledge

So has a date been sorted, as I've been reading messages in the wrong order and am just a little confused.

5. nunheadclaire

nunheadclaire Regular

There were dates being suggested for this week but mainly next. I'm not sure the person organising has made it over to this forum however! Have emailed him offline so will post when in hear.

6. nunhead belle

OK, will await his/her appearance on here.

7. TyrrellCorps

TyrrellCorps Local

Hi, sorry for the silence but I've been away for a self indulgent cultural break in Manchester. I suggest we meet at 8.00 in the Old Nun's Head on Wednesday 27th July. I'll see if I can attach a self portrait to my profile if not I'll carry a rolled up copy of the Guardian or a copy of War and Peace or a Kindle. Or, you could just ask for Alec. See some of you then.

Best wishes

Alec

Sorry to mess you about but I've just been reminded that I can't do the Wednesday so I'll be in the same place at the same time on Thursday 28th. Apologies again, Alec.

8. nunhead belle

OK, see you all on Thursday 28, 8pm at the Old Nun's Head.

9. TyrrellCorps

TyrrellCorps Local

Hi, really sorry but I won't be able to come tomorrow. I have to look after the kids while my wife goes to a business related meeting. Tried to get babysitter but none available. Will double check diaries - again and see if I can make it next week. Sorry.

Alec

10. nunhead belle

That's fine - just throw some other dates out there.

11. TyrrellCorps

TyrrellCorps Local

Hi, I'll be in the Old Nun's Head at 8.00 on Wednesday 3rd August to talk with anyone who is interested in starting a book group in Nunhead. I'll be sporting a copy of Scoop by Evelyn Waugh which I am reading for the next Green and Blue book group. Hope to see you there. Alec.

12. nunhead belle

OK, noted.

13. TyrrellCorps

TyrrellCorps Local

Hi, three of us met last night in the Old Nun's Head, in the book corner since you ask. And very pleasant it was, too. We discussed Australia as a theme and came up with a short list which I have created on an Amazon Wish List. Follow the link below to see the titles:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/registry/wishlist/22G1V1NPD51FX

Let em know if you have any problems accessing it and I'll post them here.

If you PM me with your vote by the end of next week I'll post the winner and then we will have plenty of time to read it before we meet to discuss it at 8.00 on Wednesday 21st September in the book corner of the Old Nun's Head.

See you then

Alec​

14. nunhead belle

Great meeting last night, discussing books and life this side of the rye.
    How do you PM on this site?

15. TyrrellCorps

TyrrellCorps Local

16. nunhead belle

OK, I'll send an old fashioned email.

17. nunheader

nunheader South East Crusader

Click on the person's name then in the middle of the box you'll see Start a Conversation.

You can also do it the other way round by going Inbox>Start a Conversation then entering the person's user name. You can then opt for Invite People To Conversation if you wish to make it a group thing.

My little one was poorly last night, so couldn't make it. But I hope this Book Group does get off the ground.

18. TyrrellCorps

TyrrellCorps Local

looking forward to getting your vote, one way or another, and to seeing you at the next meeting.

Alec

19. TyrrellCorps

TyrrellCorps Local

Hi

Although this is a short list, rather than a shorlist, if we were to read all three titles then we'd get a real insight into Australia's contemporary urban life, its recent history and its ancient past. Fortunately, we only have to read one for the book group. I'm still undecided. I hope this prompt will pique your interest and help you decide how to vote.

Alec

The Songlines, Bruce Chatwin
    The late Bruce Chatwin carved out a literary career as unique as any writer's in this century: his books included In Patagonia, a fabulist travel narrative, The Viceroy of Ouidah, a mock-historical tale of a Brazilian slave-trader in 19th century Africa, and The Songlines, his beautiful, elegiac, comic account of following the invisible pathways traced by the Australian aborigines. Chatwin was nothing if not erudite, and the vast, eclectic body of literature that underlies this tale of trekking across the outback gives it a resonance found in few other recent travel books. A poignancy, as well, since Chatwin's untimely death made The Songlines one of his last books.

Oranges and Sunshine: Empty Cradles, Margaret Humphreys
    In 1986 Margaret Humphreys, a Nottingham social worker, investigated a woman’s claim that, aged four, she had been put on a boat to Australia by the British government. At first incredulous, Margaret discovered that this was just the tip of an enormous iceberg. Up to 150,000 children, some as young as three years old, had been deported from children’s homes in Britain and shipped off to a ‘new life’ in distant parts of the Empire, right up until as recently as 1970.
    Many were told that their parents were dead, and parents often believed that their children had been adopted in Britain. In fact, for many children it was to be a life of horrendous physical and sexual abuse far away from everything they knew. Margaret reveals how she unravelled this shocking secret and how it became her mission to reunite these innocent and unwilling exiles with their families in Britain before it was too late.

The Slap, Christos Tsiolkas
    At a suburban barbecue one afternoon, a man slaps an unruly boy. The boy is not his son. It is a single act of violence, but this one slap reverberates through the lives of everyone who witnesses it happen.

From the readers' reviews on Amazon:
    "This book is one that you will either really love or absolutely hate. I loved it, and was often up past my bedtime reading it.
    Each chapter is a snippet of life, written from the veiwpoint of one of the characters present at a suburban bbq where a young boy gets slapped by an adult. The question of whether it was right or wrong to slap the boy is not really what this book is about. Instead the book explores the effects of this one event on the chosen characters and subtle changes within friendships and family dynamics. Unlike many of the reviewers on Amazon, I don't think the characters are all that dispicable, just very human and caught up in a selfish, modern existance. The book is bleak in outlook and does leave questions unresolved. But I like this, it makes makes me think and question. "

20. nunhead belle

Oranges and Sunshine - my vote.