The Job Centre - new Antic pub opens on Deptford High Street

Discussion in 'Deptford' started by Gema, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Gema

Gema Moderator Staff Member

Well, not a pub, a 'saloon bar' according to the press blurb. The Job Centre - not sure how I feel about the name - includes a spacious bar, lounging and dining area, events space and private hire room upstairs. Opening night was 6 June - anyone been yet? I had a peek through the window today and have to say that the decor is a bit glum looking. Antic do like shabby chic.

https://www.facebook.com/TheJobCentreDeptford?fref=ts

https://twitter.com/TheJobCentrePub

http://www.newsshopper.co.uk/news/1...Centre_to_open_as_quirky_pub_today/?ref=var_0

2. Gema

3. Gema

4. SELPA

SELPA Lives for South East London

It's worth seeing a bit of context about the site as a Job Centre, local councillors fought hard to keep a needed a service. This video from late 2009 shows a bit of what went on. It explains, why for some the name is an issue.

5. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

Russell Bulmer likes this.
  6. egoode

egoode Local

I'm also confused why some people are so upset about them keeping the name. It's not like Antic campaigned to the govt to get it closed so they could make it a pub. Instead it was closed and then years later they saw an opportunity to bring an unused space back into use. I do think some people go out of their way to find offense in everything they see. Would they prefer it had been left empty?

7. Gema

Personally, I think this has all got out of hand. I don't really like the name of the pub myself - although I thought that someone else's idea of The Labour Exchange was an improvement - but the pub itself is coming in for a lot of flack which it cannot really be held accountable for.

If people want a proper conversation about the effects of gentrification and austerity measures then fine - but Antic did not gentrify Deptford and they certainly didn't close down the job centre four years ago. They opened a bar in a building that was previously being squatted in, giving people in the area a new drinking establishment and providing 20 jobs for local people. The amount of criticism that has been pointed in their direction is quite frankly ridiculous.

Yes, the job centre closing in Deptford was rubbish. Travelling all the way to Catford to sign-on is dull. Calling the new pub 'The Job Centre' was a bit crap. But the actual job centre is never coming back - so having a pub in situ is better than having another £1 shop, bookies, or chicken shop.

8. SELPA

The complaints about the complaints are whats getting out of hand. The people who raised the issue about the name, do not want the bar to close. They, who live, love and work in the area, so know it intimately, stated that the name was insensitive, given the context of austerity and the loss of a much needed and fought for public resource. If you are going to gentrify Deptford, do it properly, with a touch a class. Show some respect to Deptford, to its heritage, it's a culturally diverse, artistic, historic area, and the best name a pub can up with is "The Job Centre" ? It's crass. If they were trying to be funny why not "the Anchor?"

The library, the square, the station, and everything to this area in the past few years has been done to a top notch. This pub with is 'shabby chic' which it thinks is in keeping with Deptford is getting it wrong. Antic, with Jam Circus, The Royal Albert generally get things right. They got it wrong here.

9. Matt Soper

Matt Soper Super-South-Easter

It does seem a bit unfair to blame Antic for something that happened well before they took over the building. Anyone familiar with their other pubs knows that they often play on previous function of the building when naming the place. Probably a rather unwise choice given the history of this venue and sensitivities around the wider regeneration of Deptford.

Still, they're unlikely to make the same mistake with their potential new pub on Rye Lane (they definitely won't want to be mistaken for Peckham Job Centre at the moment!)
    http://peckhampeculiar.tumblr.com/post/89546264409/new-pub-for-rye-lane

10. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

So some self-appointed guardians of what is and isn't appropriate for Deptford have deemed it crass. I get that. But the moral outrage that it has generated is laughably disproportionate, poorly articulated and smacks of bullying. Still, The Guardian managed to squeeze not one but two articles out of it, so that's all that matters.

11. SELPA

Yes the outrage by both sides is somewhat laughable, but that's modern life (big politics isn't discussed too much so the small stuff, the local stuff, gets attention- the repurposing of buildings often bothers people rightly or wrongly)...that people care about their area & and are prepared to discuss it is a good thing, "poorly articulated" or not.

12. Gema