St Johns Station / Tanners Hill Flydown

Discussion in 'Public Transport' started by Richard Elliot, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Richard Elliot

Richard Elliot Fountain of Southern Knowledge

London Reconnections is an excellent (if weighty) blog which covers transport in and around London.

They posted an article today about the history of the Tanners Hill Flydown which is currently being extended to be a double track. The article is here:
    http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/tanners-hill-flydown-part-1/

I think they are going to write further articles on St Johns / the Flydown which I will add in a comment below as they are published.

2. clogsilk

clogsilk Fountain of Southern Knowledge

London Reconnections truly is great, although I must admit it sometimes gets a little too complicated and technical for me! ;)

3. Richard Elliot

London Reconnections have quickly followed up on yesterday's post with another article on the Tanners Hill Flydown:
    http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/tanners-hill-flydown-part-2/

The article has some great photos of the works in progress and reaction from the local residents. Although I've recently got back from a holiday in Berlin I'm not responsible for the sign.....

4. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

The first article contains a pic which appears to show the old station house where the car park is now! Anyone know why it went? Assume some genius felt it wasn't worth keeping? :( - or did it have to go to make room for the fly down?

[​IMG]

5. fabhat

fabhat Respected Local

Those houses on the other side of the street have gone too (behind the station)and been replaced by smaller modern ones. I suppose probably for the same reason as the victorian bridge and stationhouse - to make room for the flydown?

6. Richard Elliot

The team at London Reconnections have posted another article on the history of St Johns station:
    http://www.londonreconnections.com/2013/st-johns-part-2-world-war-ii-to-the-current-day/

It's a lengthy but interesting read. Here's a quote from the end of the article:
    The station is but a shadow of its former self. It is not strategically placed. It is unstaffed for much of the time. It is not a welcoming place and any architectural merit that it had is gone. And yet is almost certainly busier than it has ever been previously and, as we have seen, a long and often tragic history that eclipses many stations far larger and better known. It also has a service that users of most stations can only dream of and it fulfils a useful transport need for the local community.

I never knew the station used to have four platforms:
    [​IMG]

7. Richard Elliot

8. EdHammond

EdHammond South Eastern Guru

That photo is terribly reminiscent of pictures of the aftermath of the Clapham Junction disaster (although that was obviously rather larger in scale)