South East pub makeovers

Discussion in 'South East London General Discussion' started by Nick Barron, Jan 11, 2012.

1. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

Antic continues to take on some of the area's more run down pubs - the latest being the Copperfield in Catford, which faced possible closure.

This follows relatively recent makeovers by various owners of The Talbot in Brockley, the Ravensbourne Arms in Ladywell / Lewisham, the New Cross House, the New Cross Inn and the Old Haberdasher in New Cross and the Bridge in Lewisham.

It shows renewed confidence in the area's ability to support some decent boozers. So the question is: which other pubs in the South East Central area are ripe for a makeover or a takeover, to give them a shot in the arm?

I'll start the list with an obvious candidate in Brockley - The Wickham Arms, which is a grand place that has fallen on hard times and is now under temporary management.

A bigger challenge, but also a potentially promising location on Lewisham Way is Albertines, which is on the market.

Where else in Nunhead, Peckham, Ladywell, Honor Oak, Lewisham, New Cross, Deptford, Brockley and Catford needs some love?

2. Lew ish

Lew ish Respected Local

Is the Sydney Arms in Lewisham still closed down? That could definitely do with help?

3. Michael_FH

Michael_FH Lives for South East London

Not just the run down pubs, the post office as well in Forest Hill!
    But in Honor Oak there is the Old Bank and I'm sure they could do good things with Chandos.

4. Ravedog

Ravedog South Eastern Guru

The Old Bank is a lovely space and with the overgroung next to it it could be doing well now.
    Turning it back into a gastro pub or a sit down independent Bar/Pizzeria with tables outside on the side street pavement in the spring / summer (NOT Domino :)) would be a welcome addition to HOP high street.

Are there any news of plans for that place, now that Domino's application has, thanksfully, been turned down?

Update:
    Hmm fresh about Domino http://www.southeastcentral.co.uk/t...-park-becoming-a-dominos-pizza-takeaway.1065/

Brockley Jon likes this.
  5. Nic Ronconi

Nic Ronconi Local

The Station pub in hither green could do with a nice revamp and clean up.

6. Danja

Danja Respected Local

The very rancid White Hart Hotel has loads of totally buried potential, which its current leaseholder seems incapable of realising. Unfortunately, while it is on the market and has been for ages, it appears that he wants a lot of money for a failing (leasehold) pub.

7. Nick Barron

It's a complaint that I've heard many times - entrepreneur enquires about possibility of taking on hopeless, crumbling, customer-free local business. Incumbent with long-lease with very cheap rent negotiated many years ago wants a fortune to sell the lease on. Very frustrating for those of us who live here.

8. evelina toad

evelina toad Local

What area of South East London would this be?

I nominate Nunhead's The Golden Anchor, which is on the eastern end of Evelina Road, virtually in Peckham. The gold needs more than a polish in my view.

9. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

I've been to Albertines (or whatever it was called before that) a couple of times in my illustrous Brockley drinking career, and always though what a missed opportunity it was. I remember you used to walk into the gents and stub your foot on a ginormous bone that belonged to the equally ginormous dog that guarded the pub in the night.

10. Danja

Danja Respected Local

11. oryx

oryx Local

The Old Bank would be great as another restaurant. I'm not so sure about a pub - I'd like it, but it might not be so good for its immediate neighbours.........but I have signed the stuff against it being a Domino's and heep a keen eye on the campaign!

Re the Chandos. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it's a well-used pub.

The Chandos crops us time and time again on local websites as being ripe for a makeover. It's what I would maybe call a longstanding locals' boozer. It's not a derelict site or an empty property like the Old Bank. I've only been there once (I found it fine, and incidentally it has some great historical photos of the local area) but it has its clientele and, while not aiming this at you in any way, we should respect existing businesses in this area and not decry them because they don't fit our idea of a good pub.

RosieH and Brockley Jon like this.
  12. Michael_FH

Oryx, I take your point about respecting existing businesses - even if they are not our cup of tea. The discussion over the merits or otherwise of Chandos can be reviewed on se23.com, but I note that you have not been back in the last 2 years since that discussion took place. I'll admit that it is the only pub in SE23 that I have never visited, so maybe I'm also not best placed to comment.
    However, Chandos is a large pub and could provide so much more for an area that lacks a good quality pub. The bars are restaurants are great, but there is a gap in the market for a more welcoming pub.

13. Zapple

Zapple Fountain of Southern Knowledge

Is there ever a post you make here that doesn't slyly plug this se23.com site? From the ever-increasing mentions, I'm assuming you're some kind of admin there...

14. Michael_FH

Only when they are relevant. And no, I'm not any kind of admin. It's just that I'm aware that some issues regarding Honor Oak have been discussed before.
    I make references to this forum on SE23 and the same is true of the Sydenham forum. Is this a problem?

Nick Barron likes this.
  15. Nick Barron

Please don't worry about this kind of thing. We're not bothered about forum wars. I have known (digitally) Michael a long time and his contributions are very welcome.

Besides, this forum is much better ;)

16. fongchau

fongchau Local

Has anyone heard anything about the Montague Arms changing ownership?

17. mg_

mg_ Local

Oh I hope not, love that place.

18. Gema

Gema Moderator Staff Member

I heard before Christmas that the Montague Arms was being put up for sale - haven't heard anything this year but I know the family went through some tough times over the festive period. I'll be really sad if it closes, where else can you drink a nice fruit beer in the company of a stuffed zebra in a horse-drawn cart?

Brockley Jon likes this.
  19. Brian

Brian Member

As of a few weeks ago, yes sadly the Sydney Arms was still closed. I have to pass it on my way to my G.P. and still wish it was open. . I'ts a pity, it was a nice place to drink in. I'm suprised it's not used more by the locals, it being about the only pub around that part of the area.
    Between 1975/89 when l worked at the old Fisher Controls firm (GEC-Elliott Automation) site, now Elverson Road station, we had the choice of 2 public houses, one being the Sydney Arms, the other being the old Ravensborne Arms, now appartments, that stood on the angle of Elverson Road, Conington Road, and Coldbath Street. Depending on the mood, and the time, and, it being just across the road, from the factory, my friends and l tended to use the Ravensborne. Although it being a basic pub, a spit and sawdust type of pub, the beer was nearly always good.
    We tended to use the Sydney Arms, when people we leaving for one reason or another, or if it was someone birthday, think at the time, they served a better range of food. We also tended to use it, when on the occasions when at the height of the IRA bomb warnings, we had to evacuate to site. If a bomb warning went off, we had to get away from the factory for about an hour. Some times we would just be about to start work after lunch, when an alarm would go off, we would then leg it up to the Sydney Arms, not always to the liking of the bar staff, who had just finished washing up from the lunch session.
    Hope something is done to reopen it, l for one enjoyed drinking there. We can't keep losing public house's big or small in or around Lewisham.

oryx likes this.
  20. betamatt

betamatt Respected Local

The Rising Sun in Catford is a lovely building. Shame it's seemingly been left to rot.

oryx and Brockley Jon like this.