Soft launch for South East Central

Discussion in 'About South East Central & Your Feedback' started by Nick Barron, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

We've just revealed South East Central's existence to the world via the Brockley Central Facebook and Twitter feeds. Once we've got some robust feedback and made any necessary tweaks, we'll launch it properly.

2. Alex Crane

Alex Crane Local

Well done to all concerned for setting this up!

I overheard a couple of ladies in a local shop this morning saying that after 27 years of living in this area they thought this was the final piece in the proverbial jigsaw :p

3. bill_town

bill_town Newbie

Nick, This looks good. It's a shame it doesn't include Forest Hill (except as Rest of London). Have you tried talking to the Forest Hill Society about joining forces? Bill

4. Alex Crane

Alex Crane Local

5. Nick Barron

Thanks Bill, we may expand the forum in to new areas over time, if there's a user demand to cover new places. Obviously Forest Hill is an area we cover quite a bit on Brockley Central but it also has an established forum. We'll certainly be linking to stories from their site, etc.

6. Nick Barron

Brockley Central or the forum? If the latter, word spreads quickly!!

7. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy South East Crusader

An easy way to post links ant forma text without all that HTML nonsense would be handy. I managed it but it's a faff.

8. Nick Barron

Do you mean for this forum? Posting links is easy. Just write something, highlight it and then click on the link button. Formatting text is easy too. Unless we've somehow given you a special, crap version of the site?

If you mean Brockley Central - forget it. Google doesn't seem to be in a hurry to update its functionality.

9. Marc

Marc Member

Great site Nick! I see its social media enabled(!) and I can even follow people I find interesting. I like the instant forum statistics and who is currently on-line. The site looks clean, would prefer it without any Ads by Google, but overall a great promising start. Congrats!

10. Nick Barron

Thanks! Re: Google ads - the forum software and hosting cost money and much as we love you all, we'd rather not have to pay for you :)

11. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy South East Crusader

So it does. Can't see that on my iPad. Serves be right for buying one.

12. Transpontine

Transpontine Moderator Staff Member

Well done Nick. Lot of potential here. I guess the comments at Brockley Central have functioned as a quasi-forum for some time, but it's not quite the same as people being able to initiate their own threads. Also good to get in the wider New Cross and Deptford area as these aren't really covered by any existing fora.

Can I suggest adding a 'local history' section to each of the geographical areas - there's a lot of interest in that (not just me, honest).

chelsea_girl and Brockley Jon like this.
  13. nml

nml Fountain of Southern Knowledge

I really like this forum software. Also nice to have a local forum, more structured than that comments section.

14. Max

Max Proper Local

Maybe a list of the latest posts and comments throughout the board on the front page would be nice.

Brockley Ben and Brockley Jon like this.
  15. Max

Max Proper Local

Of course it already exists! As a handy tab just under the title.

16. Tamsin

Tamsin Super-South-Easter

It'll take me a little while to work my way around but, yes, I like it. And you can emphasise without shouting.
    And edit - always a good idea - so I can add a thanks for the e-mail invite, given that I don't do facebook or twitter.

17. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

Hi Max, yep it's there already, but it is a bit hidden, so we will definitely be introducing something like that in a more prominent position.

18. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

General note, if you like someone's idea, use the Like button on the bottom right of the post to show your support.

nml likes this.
  19. Great forum, thanks for this. It would be good to have a sub-forum for Catford if possible.

20. Nick Barron

OK, we'll definitely create one if you think there will be a few takers? We want to avoid ghost-town sub-forums.