Secret history of Brockley

Discussion in 'Brockley' started by Nick Barron, Sep 9, 2011.

1. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

Thought I'd create a thread for strange tales from Brockley. Starting with this (somewhat underwhelming) UFO sighting in the area:

Unloading my car in the street and looked up to see a saucer shaped object with yellow, red lights shining from it moving through the sky. I observed it for at least 10 seconds

2. Lady

Lady Proper Local

This is from the Fortean Times some years ago:
    <I was walking from a friend’s house to my own, in the early hours of the morning after a night of general chat while I was at university here in London. I had drunk only tea or soft drinks all night and had consumed no drugs whatsoever. The time was around 6 am and dawn was literally breaking when a friend and I found ourselves walking down my street where my apartment was located. We saw a figure walking up the street towards us. The word we coined later to describe its movement was ‘lolloping’ — a kind of up and down bouncy walk. It took a few seconds for the two of us to realise this was no human being.
    The creature was entirely black and like a cardboard cut-out, flat and one-dimensional. It had no features at all, and it had arms that hung down to its knees. It seemed to be ignoring us, then it seemed to realise we could see it and it began to lollop faster towards us. We ran to my front door and hid in the hallway as quiet and unmoving as possible when we saw the thing — we felt it was male — approach the front door and appear to look through the glass from the way its head moved up and down and around. It then turned away.>

I have seen that figure!

oryx likes this.
  3. oryx

oryx Local

I thought of this story either just before I went to bed or when I got up around five for a quick visit to the bathroom, and was glad I didn't live alone. :eek::eek: Whaddya mean, you've seen it?

My favourite is the one about there being an ancient standing stone under one of the platforms at Brockley Station. I think there's stuff on the Brockley Society website's history page.

4. Transpontine

Transpontine Moderator Staff Member

At 9:30 pm on 3 May 1986 a secretary walking outdoors in misty conditions reported seeing a green light in the sky above the 'railway line at Brockley' described as 'In a vehicle – of sorts. A ring, brilliant’ which moved 'In an arc. Very fast'.

It was mentioned in some Ministry of Defence files released a couple of years ago.

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2008/05/close-encounters-of-brockley-kind.html

5. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

Just spotted this comment by an anon on the Hops thread on BC:
    Cool story. Any truth!? ;)

6. Transpontine

Transpontine Moderator Staff Member

Something else I once wrote about was Harry Price, the spiritualist and ghost hunter of the first half of the 20th century. He grew up in New Cross and took part in various seances in places like Wickham Road and Manor Road (now Manor Avenue).

http://transpont.blogspot.com/2008/01/seeing-is-believing.html

7. Lapsang Leaf

Lapsang Leaf Guest

Hi all,

I've got some strange news to add here! It's just gone midnight and I can't sleep. Why? (There is wider relevance to asking this.)- Because of a relentless, constant, dull vibration I have felt in every nook and cranny of my conservation area flat. It (the 'vibrations') lasted more than half an hour and felt so substantial I was wondering if anyone else in the vicinity felt it? At first I thought it might be bass-heavy music, but there was no rhythm or melodic element (about forty minutes is pretty long for it to have been music, but I couldn't hear music at all). A helicopter?- No sound from the blades. If it was another time of day I would consider nearby drilling! I'm just totally flummoxed, and a little disturbed. There's nothing in my dwelling that could make the whole place shake! I even turned off my electricity at the box to see if it made a difference, but nothing changed. Did anyone else feel it? Any ideas? UFO taking off? (Joke!)

I am totally sane. Or at least I thought I was.
    J.S.

8. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

@J.S, do you live anywhere near to the little-used Brockley high level railway line that passes across the conservation area? That has some huge cargo trains pass by, possibly at odd hours? Though 40 minutes would make it an impressively long train!

Never rule anything out in the conservation area though, there are lots of things that go bump in the night! It's not quite the sleepy suburb that people like to think it is ;)

9. Lapsang Leaf

Lapsang Leaf Guest

@Brockley Jon

I don't think I'm quite close enough to that line - and as you say, it would had to have been some serious cargo!

10. Stuart

Stuart South East Crusader

Do you live near the route of the troublesome 343?

11. Lapsang Leaf

Lapsang Leaf Guest

@Stuart

Nope. I'm closer to the high level railway line, if it comes to it - on Manor Ave., nearer to the Geoffrey Rd end - but I still think I'm not close enough to be shaken to pieces by the line. I should add that the vibrations did let-up twice or thrice but that the breaks only lasted three seconds max. How strange this is!

12. goldsmithshub

goldsmithshub Respected Local

tis a very barmy place

13. Lapsang Leaf

Lapsang Leaf Guest

I should mention that I felt 'it' again last weekend - either Friday night or Saturday night, I can't quite remember. Seems to be a once-weekly thing though!

14. The Nunhead - Lewisham line is at the bottom of Endwell and I often observe some seriously long freight trains. The line is heavily used by freight traffic as many as four a day, would that the high level station was reinstated. For those who are interested here is a link relating to Brockley Lane and the SECR Grenwich Park branch line http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/b/brockley_lane/index.shtml enjoy.

15. SE Steve

SE Steve Super-South-Easter

16. Bouncy

Bouncy Respected Local

That is really weird - I recently moved from the Brockley Conservation area, but when living there, about a year and a half-ago, something very similar to what you are describing kept happening where I lived. Trying to describe it to other people, I could only say that it sounded as though there was a washing machine on a spin cycle, and I vaguely located (the non-existent) it either in my attic (top floor flat) or up against the wall in the flat next door. Unsurprisingly, neither was the case (I was friends with my neighbor and knew there wasn't anything that could be causing this in her flat). It got infuriatingly annoying, but was never solved... Vibrating ghostly presence???

17. Rob

Rob Respected Local

I've lived since 1985 on the edge of Nunhead fairly close to rail line that crosses Evelina Road (plying the route Peckham to Nunhead to Lewisham, etc.). For years our houses gently shook (as with minor earth tremour) with the occasional passing long heavy freight train. I wonder whether bridge and/or lines may have been ballasted or renovated as 'train shaking' hasn't been so evident of late. Recent introduction of double-decker buses up our roads does the 'shaking' instead. Re; trains - Has anyone heard (or seen) the "chuff-chuff-chuff" of steam engines sometimes?

18. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

The Orient Express travels through Brockley regularly.

19. charlies

charlies Member

When I first moved into our flat in Breakspears Rd about a year ago there was a noise like you describe that drove me mad. I just put it down to a distant washing machine and even moved the fridge to make sure it wasn't that. Being on the ground floor the ceilings are much higher than my previous flat and before we had really moved any furniture around it seemed to be at it's worst. The noise was stronger in one corner or the room than the other but it was like the room was capturing the vibration and amplifying it.

The funny thing was my gf didn't pick up on it until I pointed it out and then it started annoying her too!

Well even if this is never solved it nice to be in the company of other acoustically aware chaps. Maybe we should all go for a pint and sit there humming at each other?

20. alanskio

alanskio Newbie

I was born 10/11/1954 in the downstairs back bedroom of this Victorian end of terrace known as 128 Upper Brockley road. It used to be 1 Union Terrace as used to be depicted on the front gate posts. 5 sisters and two brothers plus Mum & Dad filled this 3 floored house which was fraught with number "bumps in the night" etc. My parent moved in with the family a year before I was born and apparently featured in the local press at the time as the sash windows kept flying up and down and all manner of things happening that the Police had to stand guard during the night. This was more like sitting on a chair outside the front door in the airey (split level) downstairs. Apparently falling asleep in the early hours to be awoken by the clattering of tin plates etc that were housed in the loft. The previous owners Mr and Mrs Ernest Smith's daughter used to practice the Ouija board and many things were found and disposed of from that loft. My parents Mr Ernest Speer and Mum Annie Valentine Speer brought most of us up in that house until moving out, getting married, leaving home etc until my Dad died in 1971 and Mum sold up to a Housing Association for £7,000 yeah, cheap in those days eh? Left at home then was the eldest, brother Tony and Martin, 2 years my senior - I was the youngest. Tony married and Martin got a flat and left me to get a house in Mitcham aged 21 and took Mum with me. Had LOADS of very fond memories of the house, area, Mantle road school (John Stainer) and then later went to Roger Manwood in Forest Hill which was previously Crofton Park which a couple of my sisters went to. Could write a slim book with the ghostly experiences we have in that house, during the day as well as the nights and experienced by most of us at one time or other. Mum being slightly Spiritualist reassured us that these entities just needed helping onwards towards the light as she called it. If anyone is interested in hearing a few tales and memories of the area around the Brockley streets and its people, please show your interest and I'll jot a few down. I live in Sidcup, Kent now, approaching 60 and any facts I can impart to give an insight in the social history of the area, I'd be only too willing to give. Thanks for reading. Alan