SEC community calendar?

Discussion in 'About South East Central & Your Feedback' started by Ravedog, Mar 22, 2012.

1. Ravedog

Ravedog South Eastern Guru

This might be a non-starter due to the likely additional labour required by our patient, honourable, at times heroic SEC administrators or simply due to restrictions of the SEC hosting software.

But what about setting up a general SEC community calendar where members can add dates of community meetings, social events, gigs, parties, exhibitions etc, perhaps linking to related post so readers can get a bit more of information about them?

It would be easier than having to check each of the areas event sections to find out if anything’s happening on a particular day or weekend. By covering all SEC areas one could just search a particular day or week and any events on that period would come up at a glance.

Apologies if this has been discussed before; any thoughts?

Thanks.

Peckham Po likes this.
  2. Zapple

Zapple Fountain of Southern Knowledge

I'm sure I read something about this before, that a calendar was to be introduced. Perhaps the SEC have forgotten about it. They seem to post less here than they used to - tbh this forum often feels like a bit of an afterthought compared to the time they obviously put into writing the Brickley Central blog and replying to all the posts there.

3. Gema

Gema Moderator Staff Member

Ravedog - I'm not sure if has been discussed before but I have thought the same thing regarding a calendar collating all the infomation from the various 'Events' threads. It would be very useful - but I have no idea how easy it would be to manage.

Zapple - The Brockley Central blog does seem to be incredibly popular...it is a bit of a shame that people don't come and comment on here instead (or both), especially when it is a non-Brockley subject, but people do tend to stick to what they know I guess.

4. Russell & Brockley

Russell & Brockley Respected Local

The SEC guys only seem to link to a very small number of the blog posts here, so one can only assume they prefer the blog to be the main website. Shame as it got busy here for a bit over Xmas and new year

sdp likes this.
  5. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

@russ - Traffic levels are higher than before Christmas. If you're referring to twitter, I tweet lots of the new threads and try to pick out a representative sample of posts, though no doubt I am an imperfect human being. I will look out for any interesting new threads you create and tweet where relevant.

@zapple - the point about the forum is this is your resource, to do with it what you will. It is completely different from the blog in that respect, which has a narrower focus and is editorially driven. I respond to the points made about what I write there, as I do here. But I'm not the driving force on this site, you are. That's what SEC is for. We didn't create it just so I could have another place to pontificate - god help us all!

To return to the subject of this thread, yes, Jon is looking into this, but it's not straightforward. If you think that's a sign of relative neglect, please keep in mind that Brockley Central hasn't had a redesign in about 4 years! ;)

Ravedog and Lew ish like this.
  6. Ravedog

Ravedog South Eastern Guru

Nick and Gema, thank you for the helpful responses. Perhaps before embarking in any extra work we could test members to see if they too think a community calendar would add value to SEC by running a poll for a few weeks?
    BTW, I have no complaints with the way the forum is run. To the contrary in fact, I find you admins extremely efficient here and on twitter, as well as tolerant and open minded.
    Cheers,
    Luca

7. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

Cheers Ravedog, that's much appreciated. I'll ask Jon for an update.

8. Moira

Moira Respected Local

9. Antagonist

Antagonist Fountain of Southern Knowledge

Brockley's only a small part of the SEC forum though

10. st asaph roadie

st asaph roadie Respected Local

I like the way the forum/blog work too. You're my hero Nick :rolleyes:

11. Moira

Moira Respected Local

If you had clicked on the link you'd have seen that they list events in Greenwich, Crofton Park, Deptford, Brockley and Ladywell.