Nunhead & Peckham Rye Ward Councillors - can we help?

Discussion in 'Nunhead' started by FionaColley, Jul 11, 2011.

1. FionaColley

FionaColley South Eastern Yoda

Myself and Renata are trying to get together with Cllr Hargrove (Southwark Cabinet Member for Transport) and Val Shawcross (our London Assembly Member and chair of the London Assembly transport scrutiny committee). Hopefully between us and benefiting from Barrie and Val's expertise, we'll come up with some ideas of how to approach things.

The Forum idea doesn't seem to be working as Network Rail just aren't interested in coming.

2. Gerri

Gerri Respected Local

I'm getting a bit lost on this massive thread, containing multiple different topics :)

"The Forum idea doesn't seem to be working as Network Rail just aren't interested in coming."

Does this mean you haven't been able to get any news on what's happening to the old Nunhead garage? Bad enough that the business was driven out, but I agree that the site is looking increasingly forlorn.

3. FionaColley

Yes, I must admit I also find the subject threads easier to follow.

I think the main things we wanted to discuss with Network Rail were improving the rail services (inc Victoria services later in the evening and on Sundays, metro style 4tph services and retaining through Thameslink services - ie to Kentish Town not terminating at Blackfriars) and step free access potentially via a new entrance on Evelina Rd.

My initial idea of getting it on the agenda for the Southwark Public Transport Forum (which served us well when Ansdell Rd residents were having trouble with the 78) has got nowhere because unlike TfL, Network Rail don't seem willing to come.

So I'm planning to discuss the matter with Val Shawcross (our London Assembly Member who takes a particular interest in public transport) and Cllr Hargrove (Cabinet Member for Transport at the council) to see if they have some better ideas, but I haven't managed to get us all together as yet.

BTW when you say the garage was "driven out" do you mean Network Rail evicted them for some reason?

4. EdHammond

EdHammond South Eastern Guru

Fiona - main reason why you'll find that Network Rail will be unwilling to come will be because a) they probably won't want to set a precedent that might commit them to go to other community meetings (!) and b) they consider that issues about service frequency are strictly the domain of the franchisee and the Department for Transport. Of course that's disingenuous but that's probably what they'd say.

As we know Southeastern have been poor at engaging in the past; DfT won't come either I expect! Difficult to know what to suggest.

5. Gerri

Gerri Respected Local

Hi Fiona,

thanks for clarifying what we're talking about ;-) It would be so good to get better train services in the evening and I'm particularly keen on through services to Kentish Town as I often have to go to Kings Cross St Pancras - please keep us posted about that. As to getting step free access to the station, that would be a dream. It would open up the train to my husband who's in an electric wheelchair. This would be a particular boon in terms of access to the South Bank via the new station on the south side of the river at Blackfriars.

Re: my comment about the garage, no, as far as I know, Network Rail did not evict them. When I had my car serviced, they just said that the cost was too much.

6. Doug

Doug Super-South-Easter

Yeah, what they said to me was that they couldn't afford the rates being charged by Network Rail, therefore they decided to downscale by moving out of the arches and the east side of the bridge (i.e. behind the bus stop).

The result of this is that this area has become very neglected, which is a shame considering it is the 'gateway' into Nunhead. Also the wall behind the bus stop is in a very sorry state - at best an eyesore, at worst a health and safety hazard. I assume the upkeep of this is Network Rail's responsibility?

Cheers

7. FionaColley

If the wall is so bad you think it might fall then please do report it to the council as we do have a team in building control who deal with dangerous structures. Call 02075252000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

8. Doug

Doug Super-South-Easter

Thanks Fiona. I've reported it (ref: SWK 124840).

I'd still be interested to hear of any ideas to encourage Network Rail to face-lift this site (even removing the taty MOT signs would be a start!).

Thanks again for all your help.

9. sarah9999

sarah9999 Member

What is being done to move the caravans on from the high street. It's farcical to have these here in the middle of a supposed regeneration. They are 'Eco warriors' whatever that means.

NorthernJen and sdp like this.
  10. nunheadclaire

nunheadclaire Regular

Hi Fiona

Re: HMOs and landlords using sheds as accommodation ('sheds for beds') in Nunhead

Good to bump into you earlier whilst out leafletting?! I've emailed you separately but thought I'd put it here as well as I'm keen to know if other members reading this forum and have had experience in this area and might be able to support or advise. As you know, I have raised matters with the council and after a delay of over three months, they are now investigation and I am waiting the outcome of their investigation into the situation next door to me. I'm not hugely clear or confident about the Council's powers in these type of situations and what I've read, leaves me feeling even less so. It would certainly be useful to hear about any other local experiences, not least as these appears to be developing trend (my neighbour is alleged to have four such properties)

Look forward to hearing from people!

nunheadclaire

11. nunheadclaire

nunheadclaire Regular

Hi Fiona

Re: HMOs and landlords using sheds as accommodation ('sheds for beds') in Nunhead

Good to bump into you earlier whilst out leafletting?! I've emailed you separately but thought I'd put it here as well as I'm keen to know if other members reading this forum and have had experience in this area and might be able to support or advise. As you know, I have raised matters with the council and after a delay of over three months, they are now investigation and I am waiting the outcome of their investigation into the situation next door to me. I'm not hugely clear or confident about the Council's powers in these type of situations and what I've read, leaves me feeling even less so. It would certainly be useful to hear about any other local experiences, not least as these appears to be developing trend (my neighbour is alleged to have four such properties)

Look forward to hearing from people!

nunheadclaire

12. Kimberley

Kimberley Local

Re, the 'gateway to Nunhead' post earlier. I've asked before but can nothing really be done to move the car that has been rotting on the pavement outside MKK for three years (there is even a helpful note inside the windscreen pointing out it's been there since October 2010). It depresses me utterly whenever I see it, which is twice a day. The rest of the road is looking so much better.

13. thebestnameshavegone

thebestnameshavegone Lives for South East London

I hadn't realised Cath Kidston had consulted on all the new frontages in Nunhead. MKK has had the twee turned up to 11.

14. sparafucile

sparafucile Proper Local

Fiona - do you / other councillors still read this forum?

15. FionaColley

Yes, me and Renata are still regular readers and posters - though twitter and email both more reliable ways to reach me.

Fiona.colley@southwark.gov.uk
    @fionacolley

16. werdna101

werdna101 Regular

Hi

Not sure if you can help on this, but I have written to Rail Track a few times about the Japanese Knotweed infestation and the ivy that is consuming the trees at Nunhead station. Both present potential problems for local home owners and the track/station itself: knotweed can damage properties (and their value) and the ivy can kill trees from smothering them and then be brought down in a storm. Had a reply saying would be passed on to relevant company that manages the station but haven't seen anything done about either problem. Is this something you could take up?

Thanks

17. sparafucile

sparafucile Proper Local

Thanks Fiona. Will drop you an email - it's about the noise from planes flying in to Heathrow. Here's what I put on another thread here:

The planes seem to have got louder and more frequent over recent months. Not to mention starting earlier (I caught a rogue one at 3.30am the other day, which is just ridiculous). For us, living directly under a flight path, it has got to the point where we are thinking about moving to get away from it. Which is daft because otherwise we like the area a lot. So the question is, are there any local groups campaigning against this? I've come across HACAN and its East London offshoot but nothing else. And is there any way the council can help?

18. egoode

egoode Local

I agree about the plane noise and I must admit when I first moved here I certainly never expected to get woken up so often by planes flying to Heathrow it's not even that close to here!

sparafucile likes this.
  19. sparafucile

sparafucile Proper Local

I'm glad it's not just me. This morning has been particularly bad - woke me up at 0530. As Mrs sparafucile says, it feels like they're going to start landing on our roof.

20. egoode

egoode Local

If you are wanting to get involved in a local action group about 6 months ago a group in Brockley held a meeting to discuss the issue but I'm not sure if much has happened since then. There's some details on Brockley Central and one of the members posted these contact details:
    brockleynoise@hotmail.co.uk or on twitter Brockley Noise.