Nunhead & Peckham Rye Ward Councillors - can we help?

Discussion in 'Nunhead' started by FionaColley, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Audi5

Audi5 Respected Local

That's my whole point, southwark revels in consultation after consultation until everyone who is being consulted cannot be bothered to respond and in the meantime the fund(s) that were available have been swallowed by bureaucracy. The whole council and the people that run it needs to be shaken up. I just hope by the next election we get some new, passionate people who will drive change and get some action happening where it's needed. For far too long we have had promises of this that and the other yet it's like sucking blood out of a stone to actually get anything done.... And when things do get done, it's done badly!

2. Cllr Renata Hamvas

Cllr Renata Hamvas South East Crusader

Hi Audi, just to point out that the LibDems in conjunction with the Tories were running Southwark Council in the years up to 2010. Hi Ed, money from external sources is usually earmarked for particular projects eg money for shop fronts couldn't be used to support businesses directly. The Community Restoration Fund however, is a more general pot to help local businesses eg to attract more customers. Businesses could apply for funds from this pot earlier this year. The AAP is now in it's final approval round.

Renata

3. Audi5

Audi5 Respected Local

The liberals and Tories may have been running the council but who were the representatives for Nunhead? What exactly is your job as councillors? What does Harriet do for her constituents? What exactly was achieved in those years to improve the physical area of Nunhead? Wasn't there money allocated for regeneration? Where has that money gone? Why wasn't it spent on what it was meant for? There was too much and still there is too much pussy footing around and in the mean time the money somehow disappears.... It's a scandal as far as I'm concerned.

4. Doug

Doug Super-South-Easter

Hi councillors. I found out recently that the garage on evelina rd has vacated from under the bridge. They informed me that they couldn't afford the rates, so have terminated their lease with network rail. They are stilll operational - they've just downsized by no longer using the arch and the land on the east side of the bridge.

This area is an eyesore and is what people immediately see when they drive into nunhead. The worst offending features are the boundary wall behind the bus stop, which is in a bad state of disrepair, and the broken MOT signage left over from when the site was used as a garage.

Can you please contact Network Rail to find out what the status of this site is and whether improvements could be made (possibly to tie in with the new lighting scheme and cleaning of the bridge)?

Many thanks
    Doug

5. FionaColley

FionaColley South Eastern Yoda

Hi Doug
    I'll ask the council officer who does most of the liaison with Network Rail to make enquiries. Not likely to get an answer from them this side of Xmas I guess.
    Fiona

6. Doug

Doug Super-South-Easter

Hi Fiona

Good to see you back in action. Hope baby's well.

Cheers
    Doug

7. Camelegg

Camelegg Proper Local

Where does our council tax money go then? I pay a scandalous £1500 a year - for what?

8. Sladey

Sladey Lives for South East London

9. FionaColley

Thanks for linking to that. The other useful link is the Council Tax Guide which includes the net budget (important as a lot of the council's turnover shown in the map is recouped via other income sources or government grant). It also contains information about where the council's annual income comes from - it's about 70% from government and 30% council tax.

We are very concious that we need to keep council tax to a minimum as so many people are being hit by the recession. Southwark's council tax has been frozen for four years, I hope we will be able to do that again this year. It is the 7th lowest out of the 33 London boroughs.

The money is mostly spent on
    adult social care,
    - support for vulnerable adults to live in their own homes - eg home care, adaptions, day centres, for adults with physical disabilities, learning difficulties, dementia, very elderly people
    - housing in care homes for eligible vulnerable adults
    - safeguarding vulnerable adults at risk of abuse
    - public health - preventative health work by promoting healthy living focused on key health issues in the area (eg reducing smoking)​

childrens services
    - early years provision - children's centres, childminder networks
    - education - school admissions, school support services
    - youth services - youth clubs, outreach work, youth offending team, connexions (career advice)- child protection - safeguarding children at risk, children in care, adoption
    - support for children with disabilities/learning difficulties
    (Sladey - I think that map must be including Early Years and Youth services in the education box as they would have been in the old education department before it merged with childrens social services)
    environment & leisure
    - street cleaning, refuse and recycling collection and processing
    - road maintenance, street lighting (maintenance and electricity), park and playground management & maintenance
    - libraries, leisure centres, sports pitches
    - community wardens, anti-social behaviour team, CCTV

10. FionaColley

Oh and I should have mentioned that of the approx £1,500 band E council tax around £400 goes to the Mayor of London rather than the council. It mostly pays for the police and fire brigade.

11. Doug

Doug Super-South-Easter

Hi Fiona,

Any news on this...

Cheers
    Doug

12. FionaColley

Hi Doug
    Thanks for reminding me, no I haven't had a response, I'll have to chase it up. I have asked to have Nunhead Station issues put on the agenda of the next Southwark Public Transport Consultative Forum meeting (see the Nunhead station thread for more) as I have previously found this is a useful way to raise the profile of issues and get action (eg the re routing of the 78 off Ansdell Rd post the bus going double decker).
    Fiona

13. Doug

Doug Super-South-Easter

Hi Fiona

I noticed that there was a Southwark Public Transport Consultative Forum meetingon 6 March. Any update on the Evelina lane archway?

Cheers
    Doug

14. FionaColley

It proved impossible to get Network Rail along to that meeting so we are trying for the next one.

15. Doug

Doug Super-South-Easter

Dear councillors,

As you will be aware, the application to turn the shop next to the Nunhead Express into a fried chicken shop was approved recently. Could you please explain to me how the picture below supports the planning inspectors statement: "I am satisfied that the proposal would preserve or enhance the character or appearance of the [Nunhead] Conservation Area."

photo.JPG

Mugglesworth likes this.
  16. Vicster

Vicster Member

Hi Fiona,

my daughter is at John Donne primary school, where she is, at present, receiving an excellent education. I have just heard that 333 homes are to be built on the old Wooddene estate and that the site of Tuke school has also been designated for housing. I know we are in desperate need for affordable housing, but we need to make sure we have adequate services in place to cope with the current population, never mind another 333 families plus. My daughter is one of 90 in her year, because John Donne had to take an extra class, and I hear they are taking another bulge class this year, so that Southwark can cope with the demand. Im really concerned that the school will not be able to maintain their high teaching standards if they are required to keep taking 90 kids every year.

In addition, last September the 60 kids leaving for secondary school went to 23 different schools(!!) because there is a dearth of secondary schools around us for John Donne to feed into. Only half got their first choice, many now travel miles to secondary school. Im not prepared to accept that for my daughter.

There must be some way of getting a secondary school worked into the current plans in my local area. Could one be built on the old Tuke school site? Could a school share the wooddeen site?

Grateful for your thoughts,

Victoria

17. Cllr Renata Hamvas

Cllr Renata Hamvas South East Crusader

Hi Victoria,
    I may be able to partially answer your question. Even though John Donne is oversubscribed, other primary schools in the area such as Hollydale and Harris Free Primary at Peckham are undersubscribed. As far as I know there are no plans for John Donne to permanently expand. If I hear otherwise, I shall let you know. In terms of secondary, this is true for all primary schools. I would suggest when looking at Secondaries you start in year 5 and look at many schools, make a shortlist and take your daughter in year 6. Near John Donne is Haberdasher's Aske and Deptford Green (both in Lewisham, but you are just by the border) also Harris Academy @ Peckham is close by. Bacon's College and Kingsdale select by lottery. P12 goes close to Harris Girls and if you follow a faith, there are church schools. All the Southwark secondary schools are academies or faith schools so operate their own admission's policy. Fiona knows more about Woodene
    Renata

18. Sladey

Sladey Lives for South East London

John Donne is oversubscribed? The management team have done a fantastic job in turning that school around.

19. FionaColley

I know, pretty amazing work at John Donne.

The primary investment strategy is now out. It sets out how many new places we need (and those estimates include allowance for new homes such as those at Wooddene). It sets out in detail how we will create an additional 14 forms of entry (FE)into primary schools by Sept 15 and begins to lay out plans for more places by Sept 16.

In our area by Sept 15 John Donne will permanently expand by 1 FE and we will be opening a new school in the Old Bellenden School (which closed back when we had too many places!). By Sept 16 we hope Ivydale School will be expanding by 2FE using the vacant part of the Bredinghurst site on Inverton Road. We still need even more places by Sept 16 so we'll be continuing to work on this.

[http://moderngov.southwark.gov.uk/documents/s39446/Report Primary Investment Strategy.pdf

On secondaries we have rather less control as none of the schools in the borough are local authority run - they are all faith schools, academies or (soon) free schools. Plus the government's free school policy makes it even harder to make sure new places are in the right places with approvals for new schools being done nationally without regard to local authority views.

We are still looking at the need and I'll get more info on this. I hope it gives you some reassurance to know that we had a new school open 4yrs ago (Harris Boys East Dulwich), another new school opens this Sept (Compass Free School in Bermondsey) and another is due to open in Sept 14 (a new academy in Walworth run by London South Bank University). We are also in the final phases of effectively rebuilding every secondary in the borough under the previous government's building schools for the future programme meaning that all our secondaries have top class modern teaching facilities.

Southwark, unlike many boroughs, has also retained its school improvement team and we work actively with schools to make sure we are getting the best quality of teaching. Unfortunately non-local authority schools don't have to work with us, but most do welcome our help.

Fiona

Cllr Fiona Colley
    Nunhead Ward

20. Doug

Doug Super-South-Easter

Hi Fiona

I noticed that there was another Southwark Public Transport Consultative Forum meeting on 5 June. I assume there wasn't an opportunity to raise this issue then? Are there any other channels that could be used?

Cheers