Nominate South London's Worst Roads For Cyclists

Discussion in 'The Cycle Lane' started by Brockley Jon, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

I was cycling along the Lewisham Way end of Wickham Road the other day and it shook my bones as if my wheels were made of wood. The surface is rough as hell, with a small rut handily running right in the spot where you position yourself. You literally have to loosen your grip on the bars to avoid wrist injuries! The surface, along with the monster speed bumps, kills your speed by as much as 5mph I'd say.

I think this debate came up on Brockley Central a while back, after the snow had ripped through most of the conservation area roads. I thought I'd open it up to the wider forum - cyclists, name and shame the worst roads for cycling on!

2. david

david Local

Hmmm - so many to choose from ...

Perhaps the bit of the Old Kent Road between the B&Q and the ToysRUs store - it's bad in both directions but much worse heading east.

Pity you can only choose one!

3. Brockley Jon

I found a new one the other day (avoiding Peckham rioting):

Lyndhurst Way, off Peckham Road - terrible surface heading south, same as Wickham, but worse! My front wheel was hoping all over the place. Speed bumps and ruts too, the lot.

4. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

Oh god there are so many I don't know where to start. I do appreciate that they have resurfaced the roads around the southern end of Blackfriars Bridge though.

Nearer Brockley, the top end of Friendly Street as it meets Lewisham Way is pretty awful, a couple of months ago a utility company dug up a section of road and seem to have left a rut about 3 or 4 inches deep with an exposed pipe at the bottom. the rut extends right across most of the uphill lane of Friendly St, just after the barricaded bit, as it pretty much stretches across the whole lane, you have no choice but to rattle over it, unless you swerve across towards oncoming traffic.

Another scary bit of road surface is the weirdly rutted bit of road on New Cross Rd just outside New Cross Gate station in the lane heading towards Old Kent Rd. It's a very strange bit of road, there's a perfectly formed, tarmacked zig zag parallel with the traffic lane, the perfect width for a road bike tyre to slip into and not be able to get out of, throwing the rider in front of a bus. Does anyone know it? It almost looks like it's designed to be there but it's bloody dangerous...

5. Matt

Matt Fountain of Southern Knowledge

The Brockley end of Shardeloes Road is in a poor a state, with deep potholes and grooves in the tarmac every 10 metres or so.

A lot of the side streets off Brockley Road could do with remedial works - some haven't been touched for years, apart from the traffic calming at the junctions.

I'd say pretty much the whole of the Old Kent Road from Bricklayers Arms to the Five Bells is in bad shape, with badly finished waterworks, the entrance to the new recycling plant, and general surface deterioration. Even towards the White Hart where the recent remodelling should have given smooth surfaces all round, corners were cut and some stretches were deemed good enough just to repaint the lines.

6. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

That's true, that stretch of Shardeloes is appalling with deep, unavoidable ruts running right across the road

7. darryl

darryl Fountain of Southern Knowledge

I've noticed in the year I've been cycling that Lewisham borough roads tend to be of a poorer standard than neighbouring boroughs - when you cross Blackheath from the Standard you can certainly feel the difference. The top end of Brockley was pretty awful the last time I tried to negotiate it, with a pothole like a lunar crater somewhere around Brockley Cross.

However, I'll nominate Baker Road, SE18, for the deep trench which actually threw me off my bike one night a couple of months ago. If you don't know it, it's the road that leads into Queen Elizabeth Hospital, Woolwich. Ouch.

8. Brockley Jon

Handy end destination then! ;)

9. DKZ

DKZ South East Crusader

10. tirez

tirez Respected Local

How long is a piece of string?

I sent an email to a pothole reporting site about the trench-like rut at the top of Friendly St about 6 months ago, but nothing seems to have been done about it.

The New Cross Road rut - do you mean the one just beyond the traffic lights outside the station? It's on my mental list of bumps to avoid on a daily basis.

But yes, there are too many bad roads to mention - Peckham Road from South London Gallery (towards NX) is really awful though, and has been for as long as memory serves. Shardeloes Rd heading up to Brockley Cross is pretty bad in a car, and that's saying something.

On a positive note, the entire stretch of Southampton Way was in a pretty dire state until about 4 months ago, when Southwark council decided to do a resurfacing job on it all. So I guess we just have to keep the faith. Miracles do (occasionally) happen.