Is there a decent Halfords in SE London?

Discussion in 'The Cycle Lane' started by SallyKate, Jun 6, 2012.

1. SallyKate

SallyKate Member

I'm considering getting a bike through my employer's cycle to work scheme, assuming it's still going in October when we get the chance to choose these things.

Last year I was put off by the fact that they restrict us to Halfords. Is there a good Halfords anywhere near -- somewhere that can make sure I've got the right size and that it's set up properly? I guess the excellent guys at Brockley Cross could also help out if there's no such thing as a good local Halfords. I wish the scheme could work for any local independent bike shop.

2. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

It's crap the way they force you into certain shops. Ours was even worse as it made us use an online place (i.e. no test riding, no sizing, no after-sales service!

As for good Halfords, there is a fairly big one in Catford?

Sadly, you might have to go to a decent bike shop, get fitted, get a test ride, and then go and order from Halfords. Not good for the local bike shops! :(

3. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

There is a Halfords on the Old Kent Road. For bikes, I'm not sure there's any such thing as a "good" Halfords. Sorry they won't let you use other cycle shops...

4. Cllr Renata Hamvas

Cllr Renata Hamvas South East Crusader

Catford one better than Old Kent Road for assistance on bike purchasing. It's a pity they don't let you support local independant retailers.

SilviaO likes this.
  5. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

Sadly this is often the case at bigger firms, someone in HR with no clue about cycling decides to go with Halfords because they're the only cycling retailer the HR person is aware of and it doesn't cross their mind to actually ask people likely to be taking part in the scheme who may have a clue. If you can get your firm to sign up to Cycle Scheme instead, you can use local bike shops which generally offer better knowledge. Your company can be signed up to as many bike to work schemes as it likes and it can even run its own scheme without signing up to any specific retailer, this doesn't involved that much work at all.

Halfords is generally quite hit and miss, at some places they have decent mechanics and at other branches they employ monkeys with spanners. I've heard both good and bad, although I have to say, mainly bad with people having to take bikes recently purchased at Halfords to a decent bike shop to get everything re-set up as the monkeys at Halfords have no clue. On the bright side, their Boardman range of bikes is generally well respected, I would definitely take a look at those.

As for which local Halfords is any good, I have no idea, as a semi serious cyclist I tend to avoid them. I think I went into the 1 on Old Kent Road once to buy some WD40...

Brockley Jon likes this.
  6. Brockley Jon

Brockley Jon Admin Staff Member

Indeed, if you've got to use Halfords, you might as well get a Boardman, as you can only buy them there, they're British (although obviously not made here, that would just be crazy talk) and they're actually better than most of the big brands by all accounts. :cool:

7. Shortspin

Shortspin Local

The Halfords on Old Kent Road has recently updated it's bike section and now has more bikes. I recently took a bike there for repairs and found the staff really helpful and he recommended a way for us to saved about 20 quid on the repairs which i though was very good as i'm guessing the firm would rather he just charged as much as he can.

8. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

If you want a decent local bike repair place then try either Brockley Bikes (in Brockley) or Vaidas over in Honor Oak Park. Both are far, far better than Halfords...