Introducing the Greenwich forum

Discussion in 'About South East Central & Your Feedback' started by Nick Barron, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Nick Barron

Nick Barron Admin Staff Member

We've had a lot of requests to give Greenwich a forum of its own. 2012 is the year Greenwich gets formal royal status and hosts the Olympics, so it's about time we added one. It's also one of South East London's most important centres for culture, tourism, heritage, education and commerce. It's also beautiful, squalid, industrial and sedate in almost equal measure and provides a fascinating live study of community building on Greenwich Peninsula, which more than a decade on from the arrival of the Dome, is still only just beginning to take shape.

The SEC team hopes you enjoy it and - as a son of Greenwich - I look forward to following the debate:

http://southeastcentral.co.uk/forums/greenwich.163/

2. Russell & Brockley

Russell & Brockley Respected Local

I like Greenwich but its place as 4th in front page list is very odd.

I find there's no rhyme or reason to the list and think people would find it easier to scan down the front page if the areas were in some kind of order.

Alphabetically would be easiest, or in order of how busy they are (I realise Nunhead is busiest so Brockley may lose that top place!)

3. Nick Barron

Yes, we'll add it to the long list of things we ought to do to the site (somewhat time consuming to rearrange all the sub-forums).

Basically, it is where it is at the moment because we want people to see that it's there when they first visit the site. To get visitors used to the fact of its existence. Not much good starting a forum that no-one notices and uses.

I can't promise that re-jigging the forum order will be very high up the pecking order. ;)

4. Danja

Danja Respected Local

Presumably the long term aim to rename them all Brockley.

5. Nick Barron

Only by popular consent. In time, you will all come to appreciate the warm embrace of benign dictatorship.

6. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought this!

It's a very confusing list when you're zipping thru in a hurry.
    Honor Oak is second from bottom and already it's busier than Lewisham.

7. Nick Barron

Yes?

8. So people must be seeing it?

9. Nick Barron

Yes, so it doesn't need to be high up? And by the way, Lewisham is not the section of the forum with which we benchmark success ;) It is a little quiet. We have plans for it.

10. Russell & Brockley

So my point's been made for me. If HO doesn't need to be high up then why does Greenwich?

11. Nick Barron

We move them around...

12. The Resurrectionist

The Resurrectionist Proper Local

Why not put the method to the vote?

I think in alphabetical order is easiest and fairest but if you played up the whole neighbourhood thang you could arrange by map?

ie (and this is just a rough idea):

Brockley (cos Nick is never gonna be persuaded to move that from the top!) then Ladywell, Catford, Lewisham, Greenwich (do they border each other?), Deptford, New Cross, Peckham, Nunhead, Honor Oak (which does also border Brockley and brings it all full circle).

Something that makes more sense anyway. The list of areas at the top isn't in the same order as the forums either. :p

13. Russell & Brockley

So not as "time consuming" as was alleged then ;)

14. Nick Barron

Yes, it is. Given that we have lives. But probably not as time consuming as this conversation!

15. Nunhead Nancy

Nunhead Nancy Fountain of Southern Knowledge

I think so too but we Nunheaders don't need to be in fake pole position when it's plain to see that we're always gonna be bigger and better! :p

An A-Z list would look like this btw:

Brockley
    Catford
    Deptford
    Greenwich
    Honor Oak
    Ladywell
    Lewisham
    New Cross
    Nunhead
    Peckham

Antagonist likes this.
  16. Nick Barron

I am very happy to move Brockley from top spot. A-Z order is not my preference, precisely because the two busiest forums would be at the bottom. When newbies visit the site, we want them to see how buzzy the forum is. Hence the busier sections tending to be towards the top. Of course, there's an argument that this might be self-fulfilling.

There's no perfect system, hence no change to order for the time being. One day, no doubt.

17. Z to A?

canine bugger likes this.