Brockley area guide - tell us what it's like

Discussion in 'Brockley' started by Nick Barron, Sep 24, 2011.

1. oryx

oryx Local

Good - Mr Lawrence wine bar and wine merchants.

I was reading this thread when my partner rang and mentioned he was paying it a visit for a bottle of something white, crisp and cold on his way home. O joy.:D

The wine bar is friendly, civilised and not even expensive, and the shop next door excellent - they really know their wine and import it (and other stuff, such as Calvados) from France. They also do real ale and good quality spirits. I've never had anything from there that hasn't been top quality.

I liked Pat-a-Cakes which I stumbled upon the other day when the trains north were very delayed - good coffee, friendly service and pleasant shabby-chic decor.

2. kingfisher

kingfisher Member

I like many of the places already mentioned. I love the open studios weekend and the broca cafe as well as the food market. And as a coop member I like having a coop nearby too.

3. Rob

Rob Respected Local

Peasimo: Welcome! and when you settle in check out Brockley and Ladywell (twinned) Cemeteries -a green oasis twixt Ladywell and Brockley conurbations. Maybe, you might consider joining FoBLC 'Friends of Brockley & Ladywell Cemeteries' details posted on notice boards within cemetery. I, for one, can't wait for Spring with so many daffs and narcissus strategically planted by FoBLC to make the area 'pretty'.

4. Lep Recorn

Lep Recorn Regular

Welcome Peasimo - if you are up for it there is a 5K parkrun on hilly fields every Saturday at 9am.

5. ic_ian

ic_ian Member

This has just made my evening, I didn't realise there was a parkrun at Hilly Fields, I thought the closest one was Crystal Palace. Will see you there!

6. Pebble_dash

Pebble_dash Member

I have just recently moved to Brockley and am gradually working around the area on the weekends - so much to explore, I love it so far. I have to say the Brockley Market has become a staple for a Saturday morning and I really like the Broca Food Market - delicious bread and humous. So far we've managed to eat at the Orchard (which was great but a bit expensive so a nice treat once in a while only) and Brockley Mess. I've popped into Magi - which I absolutely loved, their cards are great - can't believe it's on my doorstep. Also had our first local takeaway from Mo Pho and it was very impressive. Would be great to hear any new recommendations?

Brockley Jon likes this.
  7. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

In terms of places to eat, there's the Turkish place, Meze Mangal on Lewisham Way which is very good however it's harder to get a table at the weekend than at Gordon Ramsay at Claridges... Book well in advance. I actually quite like some of the dishes at Villa Toscana on Brockley Rd - I've only been a couple of times though. It's always mysteriously empty though, yet it never seems to go out of business. I went there on a Friday night, we were there for 2.5 hours eating and drinking and only 1 other table of 2 women came in, had a plate of pasta and left. Don't know how it survives! And of course there's The Gantry - I've never eaten there, only had drinks but it's supposed to be good...

8. Pebble_dash

Pebble_dash Member

I have heard great things about Meze Mangal - just need to work out where it is on Lewisham Way. Thanks for the heads up on booking, I'll keep that in mind.

I have walked past Villa Toscana and wondered whether it was worth trying - but for a newbie an empty/less busy restaurant seems suspicious - until you hear someone recommending the food so maybe I'll give it a try!

The Gantry might be the next stop for dinner - apparently the main restaurant is downstairs which explains how they manage to fit a bar and restaurant on that site, it seems compact from the street.

9. Headhunter

Headhunter Super-South-Easter

Meze Mangal is near the junction of Wickham Rd and Lewisham Way... If you go to that junction and look around you should see it... Yes the restaurant is downstairs at The Gantry, the downstairs space is quite a lot larger than upstairs

10. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy South East Crusader

Thw Dulwich Raider likes this.